Tuesday, November 08, 2005

Mid-Marathon Training depression?

Is there such a thing? After training for over 6 months now (because of my switch of marathons) I'm really, really, really ready to run a race! Unfortunately during this time, I've also lowered my weekly mileage. I was up to around 25-30 miles per week, now I'm down to 18-25 miles per week. Even though it doesn't seem to be a lot, to me it's a huge difference. Plus I've been running my long runs at a slower pace because I have no one in my 9 min/mi pace group. I guess it's not a bad thing because I have been feeling great after my long runs.
So, recap of sort of what has been happening.
Two weeks ago the long run was 12 miles. No problem. It was cool and misty out, but not bad weather to run (need to wear contacts though, my glasses were all fogged up and could barely see out of them.)
Last week was an off week so I only had 6 miles to do. Since I had a chorus retreat at the same time, I chose to run with EBFRW in Alameda instead of going all the way over to Golden Gate Park in SF. I ran a VERY fast 6 miles in 46 minutes. One of my fastest runs yet.
What about weekday maintenance runs?? Well, so far I have gotten back on track with those too! Now that I live 2 blocks from Lake Merritt, it has become my new running track. This morning I met with Jeff from AMTP and John T. from OEBGMC. Jeff and I did 6 miles in about 46 minutes (or 48, I have to check my watch). The last 3 miles we did in just over 21 minutes. Pretty fast. It was probably THE coldest and windest weather I have ever run in. Upper 40's, lower 50's and a stiff 20 mph wind. Felt great afterwards though. (Though my knees are really banged up from playing volleyball last night.)
Things I need to get this week...more Gu, new pair of shoes, more socks.
Oh, by the way, I moved. Instead of doing a weekday run, I spent 2 hours running up and down 3 flights of stairs moving boxes. I think that is an even exchange.
AND, if anyone will be in Miami or needs an excuse to go to Miami in late January, please come and cheer me on at the Miami Marathon! I've been reading posts of people that have just finished their first marathons and how they saw family and friends along the way. I'm thinking after 3 1/2 hours of running seeing a familiar face would be exactly what I'll need at that point!

3 Comments:

Blogger Lars said...

wow! That's a lot of running. I wonder though, if you do 25 miles a week, what's it like to do 26.2 miles in one day??? Is it possible? Do marathon trainers do a couple of 26.2 mile runs for practice just to see if they can do it? Doesn't seem like something you'd want to practice...instead something you'd only want to do that once! 6 miles in 46 minutes!

Last night was my first night back on the horse. We did 3 miles in 32 minutes. It was a rough 3 miles too. But...I just started. YOu know, I did those 2 1/2 weeks of steady running, then haven't run for over a month and now I'm starting again, so I'm basically starting all over...but that's ok! I'll get to that steady, easy running someday soon. And I'll get to that marathon someday before I die.

But how does one go from 25 miles in a WEEK to do 26.2 miles in one DAY?

9:24 AM  
Blogger Lars said...

I just checked, Sept. 18th was my last run. And it was about 2 weeks of solid running before that. So it's closer to 2 months since I've run last.

9:31 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad you are back at it - and back to posting about it... ~A

1:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home