Tuesday, September 13, 2005

18 miles complete!

Whew! I did it, 18 miles! (Well, I think the course was actually 17 miles, but that's still a lot!) Friday night when I got home, the last thing on my mind was to go to the gym, so we went and saw Transporter 2 instead. Fun movie. Totally unbelievable, but I think that's the beauty of it. Dad would love it.
Saturday I got up and did the 18 miles in 2 hours 40 minutes (which is why I think the course was no more than 17 miles, we didn't run that fast). We started at the Berkeley Marina. It was actually sunny and somewhat warm for 8am. For those of you not from this area, the Berkeley Marina is directly across from the Golden Gate so the fog usually blows right through there, but it just happened to be one of those days that we didn't have fog. We went around the marina (2 miles), out to the Emeryville Marina and back (8 miles) and over the I-80 foot bridge to Shattuck Ave down to Ashby Ave and back (8 miles). The last two miles were amazing. We were running down a slight downhill and we just flew. It was awesome. I did about 30 minutes worth of slow stretching when I got back to the marina.
When I got home I jumped in the tub and turned on the cold water. Sat in the cold water for 10 minutes and then took a hot shower. Since I had to be at the church for our concert in four hours, I was nervous about taking a nap or sitting for too long. I pretty much paced back and forth all afternoon. I would sit and play piano for 15 minutes and then get up and walk the house for 5 minutes and then sit back down. I was nervous that I my muscles would cramp up and I wouldn't be able to move.
Call was at 5pm for the concert. Noticed my body temperature was still pretty high. It was a warm day and singing in a group doesn't exactly have a cooling effect. The concert started at 8pm and we didn't go on until 9:45pm. We were awesome. I am really excited about our group. The only problem, I was still too hot. The hot lights didn't help, the stuffy air didn't help, and being on stage in front of everyone just added to it. I was sweating up a storm. But, the show must go on. I thought to myself, as long as I don't feel like I'm going to faint, I just need to suck it up and continue. So I did. We finished around10:30pm, teardown done by 11pm and home in bed by midnight. One would think that after that, I would be able to treat myself by sleeping in. No.
I was up Sunday morning getting ready for church and there by 9am for choir rehearsal. We sang with a celtic group. They were awesome. After church was the annual church picnic at Lake Temescal, so on we went. Of course we got there early and helped setup everything. Stayed until 12:45 and then back home. Finally for 30 minutes, I stayed motionless in bed. It was heaven. But like all good things, it came quickly to an end and back to the church for our final concert. Sunday was cooler and there was a nice breeze moving through the church. Call at 3pm, concert at 5pm. Everything was said and done by 8:30pm. Was home by 9pm and practically passed out in the chair.
Yesterday I was going to go to the gym for a little running and light weightlifting, but I thought my body could use more rest time than more actiivity. I'm glad I did.
Tonight: 5-6 miles on the hilly trails of Lake Chabot. 6:30 BBQ wrap party.

4 Comments:

Blogger Lars said...

phew! I'm exhausted just reading that ;-) But that's the way I like my life too, always in motion, but in motion with things I love to do :-) 18 miles...WOW!

11:48 AM  
Blogger Brad said...

Yeah, I'm sort of crazy like that. When I'm sitting still, I think there must be something wrong. Actually, I think this goes back to my childhood when....

12:17 PM  
Blogger Lars said...

hhhmmm...do we need to bring "the sister" in here to tell us some stories?

1:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

the sister doesn't share tell stories...but he is probably right - it comes from the childhood... good job on the running - keep it up - sounds like the singing went great -

7:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home