Friday, June 29, 2007

Day 6 - 28.79 miles

I don't know if you've noticed, but the miles are coming out higher than planned! Today was suppose to be 28.24 miles, but ended up an extra .55 miles. One might think, what's the big deal? What's .5 miles more?
Ugh! is all I can say to that. I've noticed that everything seems to flow fairly well (well, as well as it can when jumping off the blacktop road onto the soft, gravel, sloped, tractor treaded shoulder 30 times each mile)...until about mile 22 - 23. Right in there seems to be the point at which it's time to dig deep and find the strength to finish the day out. I start figuring out different time scenarios in my head based on the number of miles I have left. Once I get it all figured out, I start shuffling to the next aid station. But, then it all comes crashing down once I find out that it's going to be an extra .3, .5 and 1 mile. Then, time to pick myself back up and shuffle along to the next aid station.

Day 6 started out a little chilly, 53 degrees. Quite a bit different from previous mornings. It did get warm up to around 75 or so, but with the blacktop road, I think it's another 5-10 degrees warmer (depending on the sun and time of day). Things got a little harder today. My feet are getting tired, my legs a bit sore. Seeing corn field after corn field after corn field, starts to blend everything together. It's nice to go through each town to break things up a bit. People give me a smile and wave...I think they wonder, who the heck is this guy and why doesn't he just get a bike or something?
I passed the halfway mark today with 171.6 total miles. Hard to believe I've run that far.
It's been slow going each day. Every so often I'll kick it up and start to run my normal marathon speed (8 minutes per mile) but then quickly remind myself that I still have 5 more days to go.
I'll be back on my computer soon so I'll have some pictures up. Liz has been taking a lot of video also, so that'll be fun to get out for people to see.

Happy Running!

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations on smashing through the 1/2 way mark and sounding so positive! Another 1/2 mile seems like a lot on a day - so good for you for taking it in stride. I laughed at your "get a bike" comment. I have been riding more and at one point thought - geez, Brad should borrow a bike for one his days. I bet it just wouldn't be the same.

Safe running!

4:09 PM  
Blogger Steve Ansell said...

Brad, I agree that the 22-23 mark is always a tough one even when you are running a 50+ miler for some reason. I think you need to tell yourself you are going to do 50K for the day that way when it comes out to only 28.8 or whatever, it seems short :-). Yoú're over half-way done. That means its all "down hill" from here!

7:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Brad, want you to know that all us EBFRWs were talking about your effort at Chester's today and wondering how you're doing. We're sending all best wishes for the second half of your trip.

Keep it up, we're all pulling for you. Hope these thoughts come in handy at mile 23!

4:09 PM  
Blogger Brad said...

Thanks Amy! "Runners don't coast!" :)

Steve - I thought about that today, what if I thought I was actually going 31 miles...

Hi Jeff - It's Saturday?? I've lost track of the days...I just know which number I'm on...Next up, Day 8!

7:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are crazy. But we love you anyway.

7:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home