Sunday, June 24, 2007

Day 1, 29.3 Miles

Today started with an early wake-up call in Sioux Falls, SD. The breakfast at the Super 8 wasn't suppose to start until 6:30am, but Liz was able to talk the night person in to starting breakfast at 5am. She was a lot of fun to talk to. She kept saying that I must be crazy and I should know better since I was a farm boy, not a city kid.

We made it to Rock River on the border and started going a little after 6am. It was very humid, but the temps were not too bad! There was a nice breeze and we took off as the sun cleared the horizon.

Lots of farms with cow/calves, horses, and pigs. Mostly fields of corn and soybeans. (It's Iowa after all!)

I was bouncing around pretty quickly until about 12 miles. Then things slowed down. Should have slowed down at the very beginning! I was a little surprised near the end when I got to mile 28, and Jackson Ave was nowhere to been seen! It was another mile down the road. Today was suppose to be 28.24 miles, but ended up being 29.3 miles. That last mile I walked. I was tired and thought, I'll finish at Jackson Ave, but just couldn't get my legs going!

Stats:
29.3 Miles
7 hours, 5 minutes

Tomorrow, 28.21 miles

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah Brad! It's gotta to be good to get 29 miles under your belt and get the whole adventure started. I remember once in a particularly tough long run with a friend that I was struggling he told me to not focus on all the tough miles behind me. He told me "always marvel at how far you have come and how each step is a step farther." It was good advice at the time. Wow, look how far you have come.

4:28 PM  
Blogger Steve Ansell said...

And he's off.....Sounds like a good start to your adventure. Walking that last mile was probably a good call. I always walk after my long runs as it helps to clear the lactic acid from the legs and avoid soreness. Starting and ending each day with walking will probably be a good pattern to adopt.

7:54 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I thought a good sport would be. . . watch Brad run across Iowa. Heh heh heh.

All I can say is that as a Frontrunner, I feel very lucky that I know you! I hope when you come back, you'll still come for our eensy six-milers.

Also, please, please don't get hit by a truck.

Love the blog. This is the first one I've ever read.

-Susanna Hines (EBFR)

3:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home