Thursday, June 21, 2007

Closer & Closer...

Almost...almost! I leave late tomorrow night. That's hard to believe! I've been working out some last minute details with my family. My parents and my sister Liz have worked really hard to help me get to where I'm at! Thank you!

I also want to thank many of my friends from the various groups I am associated with! Thanks! With their support, my hotel costs have been covered and one pair of shoes bought! THANK YOU!!

Before a board meeting last night, I went for a nice easy 3 mile run. I thought about the task that is before me. Is 300 miles in 11 days something I can handle? Will I be able to handle the heat? Even if I slow to a walk, will I be able to get up the next day and walk again? Will my IT Band cooperate??

I've read many race reports of fellow runners attempting their first 50k, 50 mile and 100 mile runs. The reason why I use the word "attempting" is because it is just that. Giving it your best shot. That's what I'll be doing, starting Sunday. Giving it my all to run 300 miles in 11 days. Will I be able to do it, maybe...maybe not. But how will I know if I never try???

Packing up my gear,
Brad

4 Comments:

Blogger Steve Ansell said...

Good luck Brad, though I don't think you'll need it to get you through. I have confidence that you will complete this. Just don't go out too fast :-).

Hopefully, you will be able to get a few updates in for those of us watching from home. Have a great time!

Verification Word of the Day:
socwis - Brad will be "sock wise" on his run :-)

2:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good luck Brad! I was just thinking about your adventure. I just ran 3 miles this morning - heat wasn't bad but the humidity was enough to swim through. But next week is looking just a bit better. I will keep you in my thoughts. I sent a post out a few days ago and sent some notes to other Iowa Bloggers to send you some good vibes. Keep us updated!

6:33 AM  
Blogger Brad said...

Thanks Steve. I went through my sock inventory and will be picking up a few new ones tonight after work. How funny that happened to be the verification word!

9:55 AM  
Blogger Brad said...

Hmmm...humidity. I ran in Hawaii this past January. I had to slow my pace by 1 min/mi. I think I'll be much slower than anticipated because of the heat/humidity.
Thanks for keeping me in your thoughts!

9:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home