Monday, June 11, 2007

13 more days!!!

Wow, only 13 more days until I start my journey across Iowa!! This past weekend I did 9.5 miles with the East Bay Frontrunners on Saturday (3 times around Lake Merritt) and 11 miles with the AIDS Marathon Training Program on Sunday.
I had some great conversation around Lake Merritt and had a great time with the pace group at NAMTP.

The AIDS Marathon people were on their 23 mile run Sunday. What an awesome accomplishment!! I can't remember the name of the pace group, but I do remember the 2:1 walk/run ratio! If you ever feel like you can't run more than 3 miles because of the multiple available excuses, volunteer at the AIDS Marathon Training Program! I spent most of the second half of my run talking with this woman (I'm sorry I don't remember your name!!) but she chose that now would be the time to complete a marathon. She had always wanted to do so, but as we all know, family can sometimes delay our other personal goals. Now with her children older (and with the few pounds that having children give women (and those were her words...not mine!!), she got out a pair of running shoes and started going! She was awesome out there!! She pulled through the low points during the run and had a strong finish!! I was starting to feel a little tired near my mile 10 and I realized that she was on mile 21! No room to complain from me!

Running with that group gave me the boost of excitement and inspiration that is needed to run Iowa. If they can run 23 miles (and I know 26 miles soon!) I can go out there and do my run!

If you are not familiar with the National AIDS Marathon Training Program or you are, but never thought you could do it...go out and volunteer (OR JUST SIGN UP!) You'll be glad you did!

http://www.aidsmarathon.com

Happy (taper) Running!

4 Comments:

Blogger Steve Ansell said...

Brad, sounds like the training is going well. I look forward to seeing your updates once the run starts. Keep up the good work!

2:13 PM  
Blogger Brad said...

I think I made the right decision by sitting Mt. Diablo out. Looks like that was one heck of a run!

4:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good job with your training, Brad. Yep, Diablo was tough as always - and not really the most relevant kind of running for you right now.

I, too, really look forward to hearing about your adventure. I'm sure that it will be epic!!

Good luck, have a blast, and know that lots of us back here are sending good wishes your way!

Sarah

5:30 AM  
Blogger Brad said...

Thanks Sarah! I hope to be able to write about each day as it happens (and include some photos!)

One challenge is going to be the heat! It's suppose to be mid-80's the first few days.

7:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home