Friday, July 06, 2007

DONE! 306.9 miles

Sorry for not being able to post for the past few days, but I'll get those memories back into my head and post the last few days. But I did want everyone to know that I completed the run.
On July 4th about 1:20pm I got into Harper's Ferry. Waiting on the edge of town were a lot of my family, in the "Construction Green" shirts. What an amazing feeling. I had a hard battle the day before with the heat and my legs getting tired, but once I saw everyone lined up cheering for me the was a great sense of relief, sadness and great joy.
I was relieved to know that I wouldn't have to be getting up that next morning and run another 28 miles. I was relieved that nobody got hurt and I think, had a great time during the run.
I was sad because that was it. I was done. All of the hard work that many people put in to help me accomplish this goal was now complete.
And I was filled with joy. Seeing so many people out there I didn't know would be able to make it. To see my Grandma McGee out was also amazing. It had been a few years since she had been to the river, and it was an amazing feeling to have her there to share this with her.
I sometimes have a hard time believing in myself and what I do. I can be very humble at times (at least that's what Liz kept telling me.) I didn't know if anyone would really care. If people would actually think it was something important enough to come out and support me. My family and friends are amazing. They are very supportive.
Liz and I got to the cabin, walked down the hill to the river, took off our shoes and things out of the pockets, walked to the edge of the dock and jumped in. We had made it to the river at last. There were times I didn't think I would make it, but alas, we were there.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Brad - You ROCK! I love you and am so proud to be your sister. Liz

11:34 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations Brad! I can't imagine your sense of accomplishment because what you did is still hard for me to imagine.

Enjoy the moment!

3:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your run across Iowa has been amazing to follow. I'm a Northern Iowa boy and lived in Eastern Iowa for a while too. Very touching description of uniting with your family. Please recover fully and please consider connecting with Amy and me if you're ever in Central Iowa.

Congratulations!

6:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Brad - Amazing is what I think. You are simpling amazing, and I think that YOU could accomplish anything you set your mind to.

6:05 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulation Brad!! This is definitely one of your greatest accomplishments. You are truly amazing and I'm sure you can do anything you want in your life ^_^

5:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home