Saturday, September 02, 2006

12 miles...whatever...

It's funny how 12 miles doesn't seem like much of a big deal anymore. Today, since eastbound Bay Bridge was closed down this entire weekend, I decided to stay on this side of the bay to run my long run. Scheduled for a 7 mile run. Johan dropped me off at Bay Farm Island (aka Harbor Bay, if you have money...aka Alameda). Did a nice 6 mile run with my EastBay Frontrunners group and then off to brunch. Afterwards, I thought that I didn't get enough running in, so I took off from Alameda, went over the Park St. bridge, over to Jack London Square, through city center and downtown and then back past the lake and up the hill at Adam's Point. Just shy of another 6 miles. Felt good to get that running in.
The past two weeks I've only averaged 26 miles a week. After had run that much in one day (every other week for the past 5 weeks), I feel sluggish. I've noticed a huge shift in my body composition...Fatty McFatster above the waist and Mr. Runner's legs below. I've been eating the same every week, but my miles have drastically changed, depending on the week. It may be time to work in that gym time again! That will have to be after the backpacking trip!
That's right, Johan and I leave for the Eastern Sierras for a 4 day backpacking trip into the Inyo National Forest. We have pretty much everything we need (that's if UPS delivers everything on time!) A little nervous about having enough room to pack all of our food into the bear canisters (and waiting to get the bear canisters at the wilderness permit office is making me a little nervous too!) Should be a lot of fun though. I don't think we'll be covering many miles. If it were up to me, I would follow in Catra's footsteps (well, not all of them, but I would like to cover about 100-150 miles). We'll probably cover a total of 26 miles...tops. We'll be at 9k - 10,000 feet, so altitude may slow me down. I just have to keep in mind that this isn't a distance trip, it's just a time to get away and spend time with Johan.

A little AIDS Marathon fundraising update:
$1,085 of $3,800 raised.
Feeling a little (or a lot!) generous, donate! :)
http://www.aidsmarathon.com/participant.asp?runner=SF-4019&EventCode=FL06

1 Comments:

Blogger Renee said...

Bear canisters? Wow. That's intimidating!

7:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home