Sunday, August 20, 2006

50k (minus two miles) done!

Woo hoo! Yet another lonnnngggg run completed! It was so much fun (Thanks Mike P.)!

Saturday morning I met up with awesome ultra folks at Clark Kerr Track in Berkeley. We headed out for a 50k journey through several East Bay parks. The first 2 miles was a 1300 ft vertical climb. Overall, the run had an estimate 7,000 ft of elevation gain. (And what comes up, must come down!) Since I was totally new to these trails and the trail markings weren't always left in place, I stuck with the main group of runners. My motivation for forward motion...if I get left behind, will I ever make it out? The other runners were great, lots of conversation and waiting for everyone at each water stop. Since this was a "fun run" and not an event, we had to be fairly self-sufficient, except there was one great aid station on the course. Matt (a friend of Mike's) had a great aid station waiting for us. Potatoes, gatorade, coke, pretzels...and chocolate sandwiches!
Near the end, with about 5 miles to go I had to go to the bathroom...and I mean "go" that involves toilet paper. I really slowed down, partly from my legs being tired of running so many hills and because I desperately needed a restroom. When I got near the end and had the option of turning left and finishing in 5 minutes (and where a port-a-pottie was waiting for me) or turning right and going another several minutes to round up to 50k. The call of nature won and I took a left. 29 miles in 6 hours and 17 minutes. Not bad considering I just ran a 50k 13 days before.
As with all of these new runs, there are new lessons to be learned.

*Know the course. Study the maps and run through the course in my head so I have a good understanding of it.

*When you got to go, you got to go. I did pass one restroom and didn't stop because the rest of group was still running. I should have asked someone to wait (though if I knew the course, this wouldn't have been an issue).

I'm looking at the possiblity of running a 50 miler in early October. I'll see how my training continues and how my body reacts to the longer distances.

Happy trails,
Brad

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

50 miles already?! You go! Woo hoo!

Sounds like a great run today. Another tip - see if you can get a map of the trails. I like to fold a smallish map of the area so I can see where I'm running, and tuck it into a ziploc baggie (so it won't get wet). I usually start with it in my waist pack, but pull it out soon after. It's so reassuring to look at it and say, "oh! there's the trail junction I just passed!"

7:32 PM  
Blogger Brad said...

I'm thinking about it. There is a marathon that is on the same course on the same day that I might do instead.
Ziploc baggies are a must! Good idea about the map. Amazing how simple little things can make the biggest difference!

10:59 AM  
Blogger Renee said...

Wow. How cool that you are covering this level of distance so quickly! You are inspiring me!

1:02 PM  
Blogger Brad said...

What's amazing is that I've lost so much fitness in my upper body! I spend so much time running, I never get to the gym!

4:06 PM  
Blogger Olga said...

I think you ought to do Firetrails 50 in October! You are as ready as can be:) Great run!
I usually study map before I leave, I am not a big fan of pulling them out. I am, however, is best known for getting lost because of curiousity or spacing out:)

8:51 PM  
Blogger Steve Ansell said...

Brad, just discovered your blog. Yet another newbie ultra runner catching the bug in 2006. Congrats on your first (and almost 2nd 50K). If you decide to do Dick Collins perhaps I'll see you out there.

-Steve
mountain-man-steve.blogspot.com

4:56 PM  
Blogger Catra said...

I was bummed I didn't get to run Mikey Mikes run this year.
It's a fun run love those trails.

I was with Mike Tuesday I took him with me up Half Dome.
Catra

7:58 PM  
Blogger Brad said...

I reallllly wanted to go up Half Dome this year. It looks like I might have to wait until next year. Something to look forward to!

12:59 PM  
Blogger Brad said...

Eudemus-
I might be seeing you at DC Firetrails. I think that it will be important for me to find a pacer. I ended up running with someone almost the entire way at Skyline 50k. Definitely got my butt moving when I felt like quitting!

1:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Brad, I almost always train alone and have never used an actual pacer, but have never had difficulty finding people to run with at my pace during my 50K races. However, they just posted the current entrants list for the 50M and there seem to be a LOT of rookies. It may end up being a case of the blind leading the blind.

11:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home