Thursday, May 18, 2006

Did you ride your bike to work?

So today is Bike to Work Day, and since I don't have a bike (someday, someday) I didn't ride a bike to work. Ever notice that some bicyclist can be a different breed of athlete. If you wonder what I mean...go for a run on a trail where people also bike...they seem to have this attitude that they are far superior than runners. Of course that's not true (especially since I'm a runner!) We never coast...every forward motion is done with effort!

Anyways, last night was a pretty hard workout. 1 mile warm-up, 4 miles @ 7:42 pace, 1 mile cool-down. My first 3 miles of my tempo run ranged from 7:10 to 7:17...the last mile register 8:07. I know this is totally a Garmin Forerunner 201 problem. I was watching my current pace during mile 4 and I was running around 6:50 for some it and a good portion around 7:20. Damn Garmin Gremlins! Plus it was hot, ok it was only like 65 degrees, but it felt really hot! (Boy am I in trouble..Chicago, July??)

Anyone else have this problem...being a slave to the watch/gps unit? I remember when I could just go out for a 30 minute run and measured my improvement by how far I could go before I hit the 15 minute turnaround. Hmmm, if I'm going to start trail running again, I'm going to have to "let go" of needing to know exactly how far I ran and at what speed. Boy, that's a totally different mindset!

Tonight: 4 miles @ 9:05
Big run on Saturday, 20 miles!!

New blog of the day: RUN CHACHO RUN! He will be running the San Francisco 1/2 marathon (which maybe, just maybe I'll be running). He just started his blog about running. Go check it out!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

wow, brad...you are running really strong. i can't wait to see how you do in your marathons. how did your 20 miler go today?

4:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i refuse to get a garmin/gps unit, i'd become a slave! watches are bad enough :)

cyclists are a different breed, I work with one - he rides ultra distances, I run them. we are both athletes - but so different in our attitude.

8:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home