Tuesday, January 03, 2006

Marathon only 26 days away!

Wow, it's hard to believe that I will be doing my first marathon in 26 days. I've been training for a long time, so I'm more than ready to get my first one under my belt!
Holiday training:
Christmas Eve I ran 5.5 miles in my grandparent's basement. They have a treadmill. There was one minor problem, I couldn't even step onto the treadmill! The ceiling was too low. So, we found a spot that the ceiling wasn't finished. My grandpa cleared the spider webs away and we moved the treadmill over there. Well, it was really hard to run with my head carefully placed between the boards.
That Tuesday I went to the YMCA in Forest City. 16 times around equaled 1 mile. I went 120 times around (7.5 miles). Amazingly I was able to pull off a fairly fast time, 8 min/mi. I would have kept going, but my dad gave me a ride, and therefore was picking me up.
It was "warm" in Iowa (30-32 degrees) but the roads were icy. I didn't want to risk slipping and falling at this point. I gave myself some needed rest. My knees had started to hurt and the time off actually was what I needed.
Fast Forward to Saturday morning. Now for those of you that don't live in the bay area, you may have heard/read that we have been getting bad storms. Well, I got to experience that firsthand Saturday morning. Almost everyone baled...coaches and program reps were a no show as was most of the runners. There were about 8 or so of us that braved the weather. Most of the run went well. It was VERY windy (50+mph winds) and we had to go through a lot of water and downed trees and branches. The last mile was pretty nice, the sun started to come out and there was a rainbow to the north. Then it happened. The wind gusted and sky let loose. It downpoured...and hard. I couldn't see because of my glasses so I was blindly following the guy in front of me. The rain was whipping around so hard, I had to use my jacket to shield my face. Once we finished, the rain had stopped. The last 5 minutes of the run and we get soaked. I got my run in though! 8.5 miles.
Yesterday (Monday) I got out after work and started my normal route of 6 miles. At about mile 6, I noticed the streets from Grand Ave. go up a hill. I turned and went up the hill and back down. Then up and then down. After almost 3 miles of this (and a few stares) I thought it best to get my butt home. I ended up with 10.25 miles at a 8:20 min/mi pace. I could have kept going, but I have 23 miles this Saturday.
That's right, the big run is this weekend. More to come...


Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good luck with your big run on Saturday - you will do great! Got your mail today- and I sent you an email... the kids sent you something so be looking in your mail. ~A

10:21 AM  
Blogger Danny said...

haven't been here in a while. amazing how far we've come since talking about ice baths so many months ago. things are looking really good for you. one more big run and then the taper, i guess. go, brad, go!

7:48 PM  
Blogger Brad said...

Hey, thanks for checking in! Yep, after the 23 miles, its a few weeks of taper and then off to Miami for the big 26.2!! It's hard to believe that it's so close. It seems like I've been training forever (which is true, 8 months is a hell of a long time for training!) but it also has gone by so quickly!

8:15 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home