Friday, October 20, 2006

Picture from DCF50M



Here is a picture of me at Mile 25 at the Dick Collin's Firetrails 50 Mile. I managed a little bit of a smile. I was feeling pretty good at this point. It's amazing how far our bodies really can go. Someone asked me yesterday when was the first time that I knew that I could physically run more than a marathon. I told him after I finished me first 50k, then I knew I could. And when I finished my 50 mile, then I knew I could. There was plenty of doubt in my mind if I could finish a 50 mile race, but there is a sense of determination (or is that bullheadedness?) that kept me going. I think we all of it in us to complete whatever we choose to do. It's just a matter of being that person. When I'm "being" a runner, I can run forever it seems, but when I'm "being" a fake, and not believing in myself, my body starts to shutdown and I start to feel the aches and pains. It's amazing how much power we have over ourselves.

Believing in myself is one of the hardest things to do, but when I do, I am quite extraordinary...and so is every person out there.

Happy trails!

4 Comments:

Blogger Renee said...

Very wise, Brad, very wise. That whole fake vs. real thing really hits home.
We don't really know who we are until we make ourselves be that person!
Nice pic!

12:44 PM  
Blogger Brad said...

Thanks!

9:39 AM  
Blogger Brad said...

I may just take you up on that offer soon. I've taken a little time off since the 50 miler (and a little before it!) and it's time to get into the swing of things again. I'm hoping to do the Helen Klein 50 mile on Nov. 4th. Would you like to be a pacer on one of my next runs?

9:17 AM  
Blogger Steve Ansell said...

Brad, totally agree about the mental thing. One of the things I find most amazing about doing ultras is how much your body follows your mind.

3:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home