Tuesday, October 02, 2007

How much is too much?

I've been thinking a lot about different races and multi-day races seem to be grabbing more and more of my attention. Especially the Self-Transcendence 6 or 10-day. This race takes place in New York around a very short loop course. And for 6 or 10 days you run and run and run. (Sound familiar?)

I was looking at some of the runner's profiles and many have done 300+ miles in 6 days, just about what I have planned for Iowa in 2008. This seems a little scary to me. Here these people come from all over the world, have years and years experience (some have more than 25+ years of running experience) and are at the top of their game. And I'm going to attempt something very close. 50 miles a day for 6 days, in the heat and humidity of an Iowan summer.

My aunt asked me if this was even possible, to run 50 miles a day for six days. I'm not sure I replied. I also let her know that I didn't really think I could run 28 miles a day for 11 days, but somehow I made it through.

I've very excited to give it a try, but wonder if my body could handle that much physical and mental strain?

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You just never know until you give it a try what is too much. I wonder if there would be a limit.

5:42 PM  
Blogger Kent said...

It would certainly be a test of mental toughness - doing laps on a short course. Not only does your body need to be capable of it, but seemingly your mind does as well. If I wasn't training for my first marathon, I was tempted to do the 24-hour Equalizer race in Des Moines this past weekend. How many 2 mile laps could I compel my body do in a 24 hour period -- sort of urban friendly ultra-marathon.

9:37 PM  
Blogger Steve Ansell said...

Hey, at least you know it IS possible to do this. Now you just have to see if it is possible for YOU to do it. Harry Walther made the same comment to me before we both went into our first 100-miler. "It's not like nobody has ever done this before." :-)

11:16 AM  
Blogger Brad said...

True...it has been done before. I think if I can pass the 50 miles/day for 6 days test, I want to move to 300 miles straight through.

8:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home