Friday, September 21, 2007

Am I ready for 100?

Before any race I get a little nervous. I think it's a combination of excitement, nerves and sometimes a lack of confidence. That lack of confidence shows up as questions: Did I train enough? Will my IT Band not act up? Am I really a runner? Can I really do this? Am I just crazy? Do I have the right nutrition? Are my shoes too old, too new? Did I get enough rest beforehand?

I'm driving myself nuts! I just need to tell myself that I'm as trained as I will be; My IT Band will or will not act up; Yes, you are a runner; Of course you can do this; Yes, of course I'm crazy; Just eat and drink; I'm brining four pair of shoes, I'll find the ones that are "just right"; You'll never get enough rest if you have all of these questions going through your head!!!

I have everything packed and ready to go. Last night, I made a decision to stop by Target and pick up a few last things. Hat, gloves, jacket, pants, extra flashlight, gas-x strips, baggies, plastic container, camera case. I was amazed. This is the first time that I've been able to go to a single store and find everything on my list. That NEVER happens. There usually a few things that either they don't have or out of stock. Thank You Target!

I had been planning of one HOT run. The average temps are in the upper 80s and low 90s. Well, not this year (I'm not surprised!) It's going to be in the upper 50's and RAINING! It does not rain in September...except for the one time I'm attempting my first 100. Who knows...it just might be the one thing that helps me finish!

A few last minute things this morning; getting my tire fixed on my Escape, battery for my watch, print out crew packets, pacer packets, get cash, print out driving directions, get maps, pack clothes for Sunday. Ok, so there's still a lot of things I need to do!

I have a feeling that after this first 100 miler (and I survive and want to do more of them) it's going to be a lot easier to get everything together. Almost like a 50 mile race. I usually just get up, take a shower, eat breakfast, put some bodyglide on my feet, grab my water bottles and go out the door.

Keep me in your thoughts and prayers over the next days!

Goals:
Finish in 28 hours. (Cut-off time 30 hours.)
Do no get pulled from the course.
Be able to walk on Monday.

5 Comments:

Blogger Steve Ansell said...

Brad, having joined the ranks of the 100-mile runners just over a month ago, let me give you the benefit of my extensive experience. Your gonna do fine. Your as ready as anyone ever is for their first one and lots of people far less prepared than you have done what you are about to do. Enjoy it!

One thing I can confirm, is that it is definitely easier preparing for shorter races after a 100. I have all these great zip-loc baggies which pretty much contain everything I need so I just grab a packet and toss it in my gym bag and go :-).

I'll be watching for you results and can't wait for the race report!

10:14 AM  
Blogger Brad said...

I found some great 2.5 gallon ziplock bags. I think they're going to be great for clothes!

Thanks!

10:58 AM  
Blogger nwgdc said...

Good Luck! I see a 100 in my future, so I'm interested to read about your experience. Sure, there will probably be mistakes, but your goals sound great! good luck!

11:31 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love you Bradley and I'll be thinking and praying for you as you run.

One foot in front of the other...you can do it!!

4:28 PM  
Blogger Tri+Umph said...

Best of luck, Brad!

I'm looking forward to reading your race report, although I think your goal to be able to walk on Monday is overly optimistic!

8:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home