Friday, October 05, 2007

2007 coming to an end

Weird to think that it will be 2008 in a short few months. After reading Mountain Man Steve's blog entry recapping 2007, it started me thinking about this past year, resting (or not), and 2008.

The rest of 2007 is all planned.
Dick Collins Firetrails 50 Mile, October 13th
East Bay Frontrunner's Pride 10k Run, October 14th (or should I say shuffle!)
Whiskeytown 50k, October 27th
Ocean Beach 50k, December 16th

November will be the first month where I have no ultra planned. I was thinking of doing the Helen Klein 50 on November 3rd, but I have a chorus gig that day. It's probably a good thing too, because knowing me I would have run it...and probably hurt myself in the process!

As I'm talking with my running friends, many of them are planning on taking some time off after Firetrails or Javelina until next year. Last year I took time off after Firetrails. I ended up gaining about 15 pounds by January (and no, that wasn't 15 pounds of muscle!) So what is one to do? What does taking time off look like?

One great thing about living in the Bay Area, is that we have great running weather pretty much year round. We have our cold days (50-55 degrees) and we have our rainy days (December thru April), but even our worst days are better than some people's average days!

At this time, I do have a slight break in races. Whiskeytown 50k will be the last "official" race on Oct. 27th, but I will be doing Jeff's Ocean Beach 50k on Dec. 16th. The next race I'm looking at is the Ghost Town 38.5 Mile on January 20th. It is in New Mexico, so I'll have to make up my mind pretty soon! The next race after that is the Jed Smith Ultra in February.

I'm still planning out my schedule for 2008. Looks like it's going to be a busy one! Dec. 1st is the lottery drawing for Western States, so that will be a determining factor in my 2008 schedule. Ocean Beach Jeff has a strong feeling that I'll get in this year. I hope I do. I've wanted to do WS100 before I turn 30 and 2008 is my last chance!

Other not-so-far-off race goals: Badwater 135. The application process is a little lengthy and I'm not sure exactly what they are looking for. My goal is to run it in 2009 or 2010. If anyone out there has suggestions on how to put together a great application, please let me know!

Enough rambling. Tomorrow is ~18 miles with Eldrith, Buzz, and Ocean Beach Jeff in the Marin Headlands. Should be a lot of fun (except that it's going to be cold in the early morning!)

4 Comments:

Blogger Marathon Man said...

I can't believe this year is winding down either! I'm all booked out for the year as well.
Don

12:08 PM  
Blogger Steve Ansell said...

Brad, you should consider the Quad Dipsea in November if you aren't busy the weekend after Thanksgiving. I am definitely planning to take time off from racing to try to make sure all my late-season nagging issues are all good and healed up before next year. However, I am 10 years older than you so you may recover much easier than I ;-). To avoid try and avoid the inevitable holiday weight gain, I'm gonna try to focus on X-training, strength work and maybe some speed work. We'll see how it goes. See you next week!

12:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Are you nuts?

Just kidding... stopped by to see what you are up to - kids are doing great! (if I could find my digital camera I'd be updating the family webpage.)

~Amy

9:04 PM  
Blogger Brad said...

Don- Good luck with all of the marathons! Don't forget your first 50k is coming up in December!!

Steve- I have a few friends that are wanting me to do it. We'll see. My IT Band usually starts to get a little fussy about this time of year. If I can keep it in check, I just might sign up for it!

Amy- I am nuts...I get it from Dad's side of the family!

10:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home